Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Honoring an Amazing Man


I remember my freshman year at BYU. The Prophet of our church, President Gordon B. Hinckley, was going to speak at a devotional. We all lined up hours before in the freezing cold to get through the door first and get good seats. It was a scene of chaos and commotion outside the doors. My friends and I were lucky enough to gets seats right on the floor, so close, that we felt like we could reach out and touch the podium. I will never forget the rush of feelings that came over me as I saw our prophet walk through the door. We all stood and sang "We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet." The words rang so true to me and tears welled up in my eyes. I felt his love. I felt his pureness. I felt his strength. He was not a man of big stature, but he always taught us to "stand tall." He stood tall in everything he did in his life. What an amazing man. The world is a better place for having him on this earth. When I learned of his passing, oddly, I didn't feel much sorrow. I felt peace. I know that the heavens are rejoicing as he is reunited with his wife and those who came before him. I am thankful for this wonderful man. He will be missed.

3 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

I love the way you explained that. I too felt the same way when I found out about him passing. He is a wonderful man. You should look at the tribute to him on the BYU website. It's really good.

Karen said...

He was the right prophet at the right time. He stayed longer to help all of us, I think. I felt pretty happy for him when I heard he had passed. He was pretty lonely the past few years without Sis. Hinckley.

katherine said...

I keep reading everyone's posts about how Pres. Hinckley touched their lives. He was so amazing, I'm glad you shared your experience.