Monday, February 18, 2008

Our Trip to Mt. Vernon



We tried to be spontaneous today and headed out to Mt. Vernon, which is where George Washington's home is. The day started out very bright and sunny. Since it was a holiday, we thought it would be a fun thing to do. It was also a plus that tickets were free today in honor of President's Day. Little did we know that everyone and their mother (and sister and brother's sister-in-law and grandma) had the same idea we did. It took us over two hours to get there (normally 45mins-1 hr) and then there was no parking, which meant we would have had to hike it (over a mile) with three kids. Given the situation, we headed home and tried to make lemonade out of lemons. We stopped at a park alongside the road and took a nice walk along the Potomac River. With our luck, the skies turned grey and it got really cold and started to rain. However, the kids had a blast looking at the ducks and enjoying the scenery. Despite the four hours in the car, we had fun. It makes us appreciate our kids a heck of a lot more for being so well behaved...we didn't hear a single complaint from them, more than we could say for ourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mt Vernon on President's Day sounded like a good idea to me as I read your post, but then the same thought hit me that you ran into. Too bad! A good idea turned bad. Oh well, I'm sure you'll make it down there again sometime.

katherine said...

Ha! Vi this makes me laugh, I'm glad Derek and I aren't the only ones who chicken out of going places cause of big crowds. Derek's a little more like that, he HATES going downtown, I think it's because he's from here. But still--kids are great they are happy throwing rocks in a pond--much to a Mom and Dad's relief I think.