Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I'm an Embarrassment...

I think I am already getting a glimpse of my kids' teenage years way too early. Today, I was cleaning up around the house in my p.j.'s. G and T are going to have some friends over later this morning. As I progressed through the cleaning, the time got closer to when the friends were coming over. Here's a recap of how it went down:

G: "Mom, aren't you going to change your clothes?"
Me: "Why, these clothes are comfortable, I like hanging out in these clothes."
G: "But my friends are coming over in a little bit."
Me (I'm totally messing with him at this point): "And? It's okay. They won't care. Don't worry about what other people will think."
G: "Mom, I care; they will think you are crazy."

I proceed to go upstairs and shower. G follows me upstairs. I said, "Can you please leave me alone, I'm trying to take a shower." G: "Mom, you will put some clothes on." Me: "No, I like my jammies, they are way too comfy."

I get out of the shower to find a pile of clothes that he had pulled out from my drawers. He greets me with, "Mom, I am putting my foot down. You put these clothes on. If you love me, you will do it." I said, "Of course I love you. Why do you care so much about what I wear?"

G: "You embarrass me."

There you have it. I never thought it would start so soon. I didn't know kids his age knew how to be embarrassed about things like that. This is a kid who will wear bright red shorts with a yellow shirt, or even worse, socks with his Crocs. I always thought of myself as a "cool" mom, but I think I just got put in my place.

4 comments:

Mer said...

Kids are so funny. They are always surprising. Don't worry, I think you are a cool mom :).

Emily said...

I just saw your blog--so cute! I love what Gavin did, that's hilarious! Can you imagine them as teenagers...it seems so far off but will be here before we know it!

Karen said...

That's hilarious. I think my kids haven't noticed how embarrassing I am yet. I'm sure it will come soon enough.

Taylor Swim said...

That is sooooo funny! When I volunteer at school the girls are all over me about my fashion choices. Z says, "Mom, my friends like it when you wear some jewelry and makeup." I thought I was cool-- apparently NOT!